Missing file issue on game start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing file issue on game start

First off i'd like to say I fucking HATE win10. It's nothing more than 8 reskinned with a few additions and is still more of a mobile platform than a correct desktop os. Microsoft obviously developed this as a goto for everything sort of OS (not to mention the litany of privacy incursions) and in trying to cover everything they covered nothing very well. Sorry guys, I know you love it but I find it overly complicated (not as in understanding but function) and hard to do simple tasks. It's packed with MS's crap and bloatware and most of it can't be removed.
    Shew, rants over...just had to get that out.

Anyways, I am trying to run Stalker: Call of Pripyat mod Call of Chernobyl. Something I ran with 0 issues and even completed the game under win7 just last month (finished it before new pc got her). Since it is a sandbox world you can continue to play so I backed up my saves and moved everything over to Win10. When I start the game I get a vsc++ error stating msvcp120.dll was not found (this seems to be an error stemming from the engine). Simple enough, I just need vstudio 12. I get it. Doesn't work. I scour the net and see some people found win10 needs a 64 and x86 version for some games. Try that, nothing.
    The core game without the mod works fine but that goes through steam. So it is something the mod needs but Win10 doesn't have so I track down the files in Win, they are there and where they are supposed to be. I uninstalled, reinstalled, and now I am at the point where I want to throw the damn thing out of the window. OK, not really, love my pc but it is frustrating to say the least.

OK, so boiling it down the issue is this. My game worked in 7 but not 10. The game engine can't start the mod because for some reason it can't see the dlls needed to run. The dlls are verified there and the latest up to date versions. I have ran a scan to verify and replace any corrupt files so they are good. I have tried running in all compatibility modes just for shits and giggles. I've tried reinstalling everything short of windows 10 itself although some peeps said that worked. In searching the net I see this issue is common in Win10 and happens across a variety of programs although this is the first time i've ran into it.

I will try ANY (read that as most) suggestions. This game is one of the best i've ever played and this mod is just amazing. I need my fix man! GET ME IN THE ZONE!!!
    My steam workshop

Can you provide some clarification, since I do not have this mod. Is the mode an executable? or is it dropped in a mod folder?

Comment

Did you try installing Visual C++ both 32 and 64 bit editions?

Possible error messages regarding this file:

"msvcp120.dll Not Found"'
      "The file msvcp120.dll is missing"
      "File msvcp120.dll not found"
      "The program can't start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem

If it for some reason doesn't work by just replacing the file, you might need to re-install the Microsoft visual C++ Redistributable package which can be found here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=40784

x86 for 32bit (x86) Windows, x64 for 64bit (x64) Windows. If using a 64bit Windows, install both.

Comment

It is an exe. It's a simple extract anywhere and run so no install process. It just calls back to the original game. The original game is outdated and a bit old looking, the mod adds new graphical features and implements a lot of better texturing so I am assuming it has something to do with that end of the mod but it really comes down to why windows 10 isn't showing the dll as available when it is. I used to think this kind of stuff was fun, like mini mysteries. Now that i'm old I just want my fucking game. hehe.
        My steam workshop

Comment

Along with Froggers suggestion, can you verify that the dll is in the system path.

Comment

I did to both of those suggestions. Verified the files exist and installed both versions 86/64. I thought I had mentioned that in the first post but I tried so many things I probably forgot it. It's driving me crazy.
            My steam workshop

Comment

I think Frogger is pointing to the runtime, redistribute. In your initial post you mention c++, maybe you mean the same thing. c++ is the compiler, where as c++ redistribute it the runtime environment you need to run the program. Just to be clear, did you install visual studio, or the vcredist?

Comment

I meant the same thing Frogger mentioned. I installed both. I guess I should have went into greater detail but I really tried about everything I could think of short of a win10 reinstall. But this is how we troubleshoot. I will keep trying whatever you guys suggest (within reason...only basic sex stuff).
                My steam workshop

Comment

Sigh...I got it working. I just tried a different install location (actually just moved the folder and all since it's self contained) and that somehow magically fixed it. YEAH!!!
                  Now we can all have our teamspeak single player multiplayer party! WOOHOO!
                  My steam workshop

Comment

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help. I know I was kinda short tempered but I was frustrated with the whole thing. I am still not exactly sure why it worked fine in 7 but not 10 but oh well. It works!
                    My steam workshop

Comment

Working...
                    X